The Pekakpeka is my unique handcrafted wooden soprano-C flute. The Pekapeka is named after the endangered native New Zealand bat. The Pekapeka has a quite different tone compared commercial penny whistles such as the Clarke or Feadog, due to its larger bore, bell shape, larger window and wooden construction.
Features of the Pekapeka are:
- They feature a bell which helps improve the volume of the lower notes of each octave.
- They have a tapered bore, reducing the overall length a little
- Each flute is carefully hand tuned to concert pitch A=440Hz, within the limits of variable air temperature and how hard you blow.
- Fully sealed inside and out to minimize effects of moisture
- Range is at least two octaves, C5 to B7.
Besides C, the flute can easily be played in Dorian mode (scale starting on D), F major and D minor by half-holing the D tone-hole, G major and E minor (see fingering chart for the F#) and of course Am. Bb major is also possible, requiring half holing or cross fingering of the B tone-hole and half-holing of the E tone-hole. Although simple flutes like the Pekapeka are not intended to be fully chromatic, it is possible to play all 12 semitones, with only a few of them requiring half-holing.
Instruction sheet included, with chromatic fingering chart.
NOTES: * Sorry, photo props are not included. * Instruments are all handmade to order * Wooden parts are made from reclaimed timber, or from wood cut from my own trees. * Orders are usually shipped within five days and delivery is usually less than two weeks, but may take much longer due to the global pandemic. * My standard shipping method is via untracked international airmail. * If an order has not arrived within 45 days of shipping notification, contact me and I will post another. * Some countries may charge relevant taxes such as GST or VAT and/or further postal charges