The Kakaruia is a charming handcrafted soprano B penny whistle made primarily from aluminium. The Kakaruia is named after the delightful but endangered native black robin. It has a quite different tone to Clarke or Feadog whistles, because of its curved windway lip. The Kakaruia whistle is tough, made from Al with a 1mm wall thickness. The mouthpiece is wooden, with a sturdy laminated plywood and fiberglass cover, which reduces the amount of condensation compared to whistles with a metal cover.
Features of the Kakaruia are:
- A mouthpiece of my well-proven design with a curved lip giving a mellow and slightly breathy tone.
- A small polished and laquered bell/horn which helps improve the volume of the lower notes of each octave.
- Accurate concert pitch, carefully hand tuned to A=440Hz, within the limits of variable air temperature and how hard you blow.
- Range of two octaves, B4 to C#6, and maybe a couple of notes higher although they are rather loud!
- A very comfortable mouthpiece shape compared to many PVC or aluminium whistles.
- A userguide with fingering chart included.
A demo of the very similar Mohua whistle is on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELKb76rwYpE&feature=youtu.be (cut and paste into your browser)
NB: Sorry, Kakariki and Mohua whistles and black robin bird are not included :-).
NOTES: * These whistles are made to order: are usually shipped within three days and delivery is typically less than two weeks. * My standard shipping method is via untracked international airmail. * If an order has not arrived within 30 days of shipping notification, contact me and I will post another. * Some countries may charge relevant taxes such as GST or VAT and/or further postal charges.