The Kotare is a tuneable handcrafted aluminum low penny whistle in the key of D major. The Kotare is an octave lower than D whistles like the Clarke or Feadog. It is named after the native New Zealand sacred kingfisher and is a development from my highly regarded Kereru. A demo is on YouTube here:
NB, This is a big whistle and is not recommended for beginners. However, the Kotare features carefully offset tone holes to simplify fingering. With the offsets and use of the 'pipers grip' the Kereru can be played even if you have relatively small hands. The hole offsets can be configured for right or left handed players, or with no offsets at all. You can advise me which version you prefer at checkout.
These whistles are tough, made primarily from aluminum, with some parts from wood and PVC. Features of the Kotare are:
- Unlike many Al whistles, the wall thickness is only 1mm, so it is nice and light.
- The Kotare is tuneable, about +/- 20 cents.
- The mouthpiece is my well-proven PVC and wood design with the curved lip giving a distinctive mellow and slightly breathy tone.
- They feature a small polished and lacquered bell, which helps improve the volume of the lower notes of each octave
- Each whistle is carefully hand tuned to concert pitch A=440Hz, within the limits of variable air temperature and how hard you blow.
- Tone holes are reamed and polished.
- Includes a thumbrest.
- Range is two octaves, D4 to C#6, and maybe a couple of notes higher although they are rather loud!
- My whistle has a very comfortable mouthpiece shape, with no Al exposed to contact the lips of the player.
- User-guide and fingering chart included.
Besides D, the Kotare can easily be played B minor, in Dorian mode (scale starting on E), in G major and E minor by half-holing the C# hole, and in A major and F# minor by using the fingerings in the chart for a G#.
Sorry, Kotare bird not included ;-)
NOTES: * These whistles are made to order; orders are usually shipped within five business days and delivery is typically less than two weeks. * My standard shipping method is via untracked international airmail. * If an order has not arrived within 30 days of shipping notification, contact me and I will post another. * Some countries may charge relevant taxes such as GST or VAT and/or further postal charges