The Kokako is a handcrafted penny whistle in the key of G major, the result of all I have learned about whistles and flutes. This instrument is an alto whistle, named after a rare and endangered native New Zealand bird. The Kokako features a tuning slide to allow fine tuning about half a semitone each way. These whistles are tough, made from chromed aluminum and PVC. They feature:
- A small gold painted bell/horn which helps improve the volume of the lower notes of each octave compared to the higher notes.
- A curved lip against which the air is directed like a classical flute, rather than a straight one, giving a distinctive tone.
- Accurate pitch, carefully hand tuned to A=440Hz, within the limits of variable air temperature and how hard you blow.
- Range of two octaves, G4 to F#6, and maybe a couple of notes higher although they are rather loud!
- A very comfortable mouthpiece shape compared to most PVC or aluminium whistles.
- A chromatic fingering chart, although not intended as a fully chromatic instrument.
They are shipped in a triangular package which is very strong. You can hear me play the Kokako whistle on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt6tBfP1rYQ
Besides the key of G, the whistle is easily played in Dorian mode (the scale starting on A), in C and Am by half-holing the F# and of course Em.
NOTES: * Orders are usually shipped within three days and delivery is typically less than two weeks. * My standard shipping method is via untracked international airmail. An upgrade to tracked courier is available on request. * If an order has not arrived within 30 days of shipping notification, contact me and I will post another. * Some countries may charge relevant taxes such as GST or VAT and/or further postal charges.