The Kakariki (native red-crested parakeet) is a handcrafted high whistle in the key of D Major, similar to the Clarke or Generation D whistles.
Features of the Kakariki are:
- These whistles are tough, made from aluminum.
- The mouthpiece is my well-proven design with the curved lip giving a distinctive tone.
- They feature a small bell/horn which helps improve the volume of the lower notes of each octave.
- Each whistle is carefully hand tuned to concert pitch A=440Hz, within the limits of variable air temperature and how hard you blow.
- Range is two octaves, D5 to C#7, and maybe a couple of notes higher although they are rather loud!
- My whistle has a very comfortable mouthpiece shape compared to most PVC or aluminium whistles.
Besides the key of D, the Kakakriki whistle is easily played in Dorian mode (the scale starting on E), in G major and E Minor by half-holing the C# and of course B Minor. You can hear a demo of the very similar Mohua on YouTube here:
Instruction sheet included, they are shipped in a triangular package which is very strong. Sorry, Kakariki bird not included ;-)