The Kereru II (named after a native woodpigeon) is a handcrafted low-whistle in the key of D major. The Kereru II is an octave lower than D whistles like the Clarke or Feadog.
NB: This is a big whistle and is not recommended for beginners. The Kereru II features carefully offset tone holes to simplify fingering. With the offsets and use of the 'pipers grip' the Kereru II can be played even if you have relatively small hands. The offsets are configured for the conventional hand position, left hand above right hand. If you play right hand above left, get in touch with me and I can arrange to manufacture a Kereru II with opposite offset.
Features of the Kereru II are:
- These whistles are tough, made from aluminum. Unlike most Al whistles, the wall thickness is only 1mm, so it is nice and light
- The mouthpiece is my well-proven PVC and wood design with the curved lip giving a distinctive tone
- They feature a small copper painted bell/horn which helps improve the volume of the lower notes of each octave
- Each whistle is carefully hand tuned to concert pitch A=440Hz, within the limits of variable air temperature and how hard you blow.
- Range is two octaves, D4 to C#5, and maybe a couple of notes higher although they are rather loud!
- My whistle has a very comfortable mouthpiece shape compared to most PVC or aluminium whistles
Besides the key of D, the Kereru II whistle is easily played in Dorian mode (the scale starting on E), in G by half-holing the C# and of course Bm. Instruction sheet included.
Delivery time is typically two weeks or less. Sorry, Kereru bird not included ;-)