The Enya is a handcrafted penny whistle in the key of G Arabian. The whistle is named after the Celtic inspired Irish singer/songwriter, record producer and musician. Enya also happens to be the Celtic word for fire (and also a well-known brand of model airplane engines). The Enya is an alto whistle, the lowest note being the G above middle C, and it is lower than D whistles like the Clarke or Feadog. The Enya whistles are tough, made from PVC and wood. Features of the Enya include the following:
- It plays the Arabian scale with intervals S, T+S, S, T, S, T (S=semitone, T=whole tone). A fingering chart is included.
- It has a small bell which helps improve the volume of the lower notes of each octave compared to the higher note.
- The mouthpiece has a curved lip against which the air is directed like a classical flute, rather than a straight one, giving a distinctive mellow and slightly 'breathy' tone.
- Each whistle is carefully hand tuned to concert pitch A=440Hz, within the limits of variable air temperature and how hard you blow.
- The range is at least two octaves, G4 to G6.
- Since the tone-holes required for the Arabian scale do not allow an F# to be played, a thumbhole is included just for the F#. If not required, this can be closed with a sticker (included).
- It has a very comfortable mouthpiece shape compared to many PVC or aluminium whistles.
You can see and hear me play this whistle here:
Also a version with piano backing here: https://soundcloud.com/john-poletti/fire-snake-enya-arabian-whistle-demo (Cut and paste these into your browser.)
NOTES: * Sorry, photo props, Kea and Joni whistles are not included! :-) * No endorsement by Enya express or implied * Instruments are all handmade to order * Wooden parts are made from reclaimed timber, or from wood cut from my own trees.