INTRODUCTORY OFFER! 30% OFF MY NEW WHISTLE! LIMITED TIME ONLY
The Urvogel is a tuneable handcrafted aluminum low penny whistle in the key of C major. The Urvogel plays an octave lower than C whistles like the Clarke C or Generation C. It is named after the Archaeopteryx; Urvogel being the German colloquial name that translates as "first bird". A demo of the very similar Kotare is on YouTube here:
https://youtu.be/tv13ydDHmrs (cut and paste)
NB, This is a big whistle and is not recommended for beginners. However, the Urvogel features carefully offset tone holes to simplify fingering. With the offsets and use of the 'pipers grip' the Urvogel can be played even if you have relatively small hands. The hole offsets can be configured for right or left handed players, or with no offsets at all.
These whistles are tough, made primarily from aluminum, with some parts from wood and PVC. Features of the Urvogel are:
- Unlike many Al whistles, the wall thickness is only 1mm, so it is nice and light.
- The Urvogel is tuneable, about +/- 20 cents.
- The mouthpiece is my well-proven PVC and wood design with the curved lip giving a distinctive mellow and slightly breathy tone.
- They feature a small polished and lacquered bell, which helps improve the volume of the lower notes of each octave
- Each whistle is carefully hand tuned to concert pitch A=440Hz, within the limits of variable air temperature and how hard you blow.
- Tone holes are reamed and polished.
- Includes a thumbrest.
- Range is two octaves, C4 to B6, and maybe a couple of notes higher although they are rather loud!
- My whistle has a very comfortable mouthpiece shape, with no Al exposed to contact the lips of the player.
- User-guide and fingering chart included.
Besides C, the Urvogel can easily be played A minor, in Dorian mode (scale starting on D), in F major and D minor by half-holing the B hole, and in G major and E minor by using the fingerings in the chart for an F#.
Sorry, Urvogel bird and Kotare whistle not included ;-)
NOTES: * These whistles are made to order; orders are usually shipped within five business days and delivery is typically less than two weeks. * My standard shipping method is via untracked international airmail. * If an order has not arrived within 30 days of shipping notification, contact me and I will post another. * Some countries may charge relevant taxes such as GST or VAT and/or further postal charges