The Bluebird is a handcrafted alto flute (penny whistle) in the key of G minor pentatonic (four holes). The scale is the one used by native american flutes and works well for native american music, plus some blues, jazz and rock styles.
The Bluebird features carefully offset tone holes to simplify fingering for small hands, made easier still by using the first and third finger of each hand. With these offsets the Bluebird can be played by beginners and children (aged about 10+). NB, the offsets are configured for the conventional hand position, left hand above right hand. If you play right hand above left, get in touch with me and I can arrange to manufacture a Bluebird with opposite offsets.
These flutes are tough, made from PVC. They feature:
- A small bell/horn which helps improve the volume of the lower notes of each octave compared to the higher ones.
- A curved lip against which the air is directed like a classical flute, rather than a straight one, giving a distinctive tone.
- Accurate concert pitch, carefully hand tuned to A=440Hz, within the limits of variable air temperature and how hard you blow.
- Range of two octaves, G4 to F6, and maybe a couple of notes higher although they are rather loud!
- Offset holes to make it easier to play, but will still be difficult if you have small hands.
- A very comfortable mouthpiece shape compared to most PVC or aluminium whistles.
- Takahe emblem of my Takahe Flutes brand.
- Shipped in a triangular package which is very strong.
NOTES: * Guitar not included * Orders are usually shipped within three days and delivery is typically less than two weeks. * My standard shipping method is via untracked international airmail. * If an order has not arrived within 30 days of shipping notification, contact me and I will post another. * Some countries may charge relevant taxes such as GST or VAT and/or further postal charges.