* NEW VERSION The Kahu II (named after the Australasian Swamp Harrier) is a handcrafted low-whistle in the key of C major. The Kahu II is an octave lower than C whistles like the Clarke or Generation, its bottom note corresponding to 'middle C' on a piano.
NB: This is a big whistle and is not recommended for beginners. The Kahu II features carefully offset tone holes to simplify fingering. With the offsets and use of the 'pipers grip' the Kahu II can be played even if you have relatively small hands. The offsets on the tone holes are configured for the conventional hand position, left hand above right hand. If you play right hand above left, get in touch with me and I can arrange to manufacture a Kahu II with opposite offsets. Note also that I sell a tone-hole key to make the D hole easier to reach, also listed on my website.
Features of the Kahu II are as follows:
- These whistles are tough, made from aluminum and PVC.
- Unlike many Al whistles, the wall thickness is only 1mm, so it is nice and light
- The Kahu II is tuneable +/- about 30 cents.
- The mouthpiece is my well-proven PVC and wood design with the curved lip giving a mellow and slightly breathy tone
- They feature a small gold painted bell/horn which helps improve the volume of the lower notes of each octave
- Each whistle is carefully hand tuned to concert pitch A=440Hz, within the limits of variable air temperature and how hard you blow.
- Range is two octaves, C4 to D#6, and maybe a couple of notes higher although they are rather loud!
- My whistle has a very comfortable mouthpiece shape compared to many PVC or aluminium whistles
Besides the key of C, the Kahu II whistle is easily played in dorian mode (the scale starting on D), in F by half-holing the B and of course Am. Instruction sheet included, they are shipped in a triangular package which is very strong. You can watch a demo on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afl9fjTSwak.
Delivery time is typically less than two weeks. Tone hole key is extra, not included in this listing. Sorry, Kahu bird not included ;-)